JR Kyushu Passes
The Kyushu Rail Pass is valid for travel on JR Kyushu trains for a period of 3 or 5 consecutive days, either throughout all of Kyushu or Northern Kyushu only, depending on the pass selected. The Southern Kyushu Area Pass is valid for a period of 3 consecutive days. Kyushu Rail Pass holders will especially look forward to boarding the Kyushu Shinkansen Tsubame, the pride of JR Kyushu, and the Sonic, a limited express train, as often as they like while the pass is valid. Kyushu has many sightseeing destinations, such as Beppu’s hot spring resorts, Mt. Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture , and Sakurajima in Kagoshima .
The Kyushu Rail Pass is filed as pseudo trains/flights between XZJ (Rail) and XZP (Pass).Kyushu Rail Passes are valid for travel in reserved and non-reserved seats for Shinkansen (Mizuho, Sakura and Tsubame) trains, limited express trains (such as the Sonic) and local trains within the pass’ included area.
- The Kyushu Rail Pass is available for 3, 5 or 7 consecutive days of travel. The Northern Kyushu Area Pass is available for 3 or 5 consecutive days of travel. The Southern Kyushu Area Pass is available for 3 consecutive days of travel.
- Passes are either valid throughout all of Kyushu, the Northern Kyushu area only or the Southern Kyushu area only.
- (Note) JR Kyushu Rail Passes cannot be used to ride the Sanyo Shinkansen, which includes the portion between Hakata and Kokura.
- Destinations that can be reached with the Northern Kyushu Area Pass include: Shimonoseki, Mojiko, Kokura, Hakata, Yufuin, Beppu, Oita, Kumamoto, Aso, Saga, Nagasaki, Huis Ten Bosch, Sasebo, (Shinkansen rides allowed between Hakata and Kumamoto).
- Destinations that can be reached with the Southern Kyushu Area Pass include: Kumamoto, Kagoshima-Chuo, Sendai, Nobeoka, Misumi, Yoshimatsu, Makurazaki, Minami-Miyazaki, Shibushi, Miyazaki Airport.
- In addition to the Northern Kyushu area above, destinations that can be reached with the All Kyushu Area Pass include: Misumi, Hitoyoshi, Yoshimatsu, Kagoshima-Chuo, Kirishima, Ibusuki, Miyazaki, Miyazaki Airport, (Shinkansen rides allowed between Hakata and Kagoshima-chuo).
- For passes exchanged on or after March 4th, 2017: The area covered by the Northern Kyushu Area Pass is expanded to include the Kagoshima main line (between Kumamoto and Uto) and Misumi line (between Uto and Misumi).
Kyushu Rail Passes are available as follows:
- Standalone 9B/450
Standalone sales (ticketed on 9B plate) are possible in these BSP/ARC markets:
- ARC USA
- BSP Australia
- BSP Austria
- BSP Belgium/Netherlands/Luxembourg
- BSP Canada
- BSP Czech Republic
- BSP Finland
- BSP France
- BSP Germany
- BSP Hong Kong
- BSP India
- BSP Indonesia
- BSP Ireland
- BSP Italy
- BSP Macao
- BSP Malaysia
- BSP Mexico
- BSP Norway
- BSP Scandinavia – Open in Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- BSP Singapore
- BSP South Korea
- BSP Spain
- BSP Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- BSP Taiwan
- BSP Thailand
- BSP UK
- BSP Vietnam
- Sirena Travel
- Travel Sky
- Passenger will need to have a valid passport with the entry status of “Temporary Visitor” (permission to stay in Japan for up to 90 days).
- 9B flights 9991-9992-9993-9994-9995-9996
- Y – Standard Class / ‘Ordinary Class’
Note: Use of Green Car (superior class) is allowed but subject to an additional charge in Japan.
- Children 6-11 are charged 50% of the fare. Children under 6 ride free if no seat is required
- No group bookings allowed. Up to 99 passengers with unique names can be issued on the same PNR
GDS Availability Display
The image below identifies available train flights bookable with the JR East Pass:
The image below is a PNR booked on the GDS by a travel agent or an airline ticketing officer (ATO).
When issuing on 9B/450 plate please use “ SSR CTCE” format at the booking time in order to communicate PAX email address to 9B so that 9B could send an email 72 hours to departure reminding passenger about compulsory check-in on accesrail.com.
- Passenger may obtain a refund for the Exchange Order at the office or travel agent that issued it within one year from the issue, subject to a 10% cancellation fee and according to the regulation of each sales office.
- After exchange for a Kyushu Rail Pass, refunds are not possible.
- The pass and Exchange Order cannot be reissued if lost or stolen.
- A Kyushu Rail Pass cannot be refunded or extended due to interruptions in train service, late departures or any other reasons.
- The validity period cannot be changed for any reason after the pass has been issued.
- The pass cannot be converted into or exchanged for any other type of pass or train ticket.
Conditions of use:
- Only the person whose name is inscribed on the face of the pass can use it.
- The holder must carry a valid passport when using the pass.
- The pass can be used on limited express trains of the Kyushu Railway Co., in ordinary reserved and non-reserved seating, and on ordinary trains of the Kyushu Railway Co. in the designated area for the pass. The All Kyushu Area Rail Pass can also be used for Kyushu Shinkansen “bullet” trains.
- The pass cannot be used on sleeper trains, the Sanyo Shinkansen “bullet” train, or JR Kyushu buses.
- If the holder travels on a Green Car, the Green Car charge will be assessed in addition to the ordinary express charge. The pass cannot be used for private compartments.
- The pass cannot be used for fares on connecting or other train lines not operated by Kyushu Railway Co.
- The holder will be required to pay applicable fares incurred as a result of riding beyond the designated area for this pass.
- No refund can be made even if there are no available reserved seats and the holder must use non-reserved seating.
When the passenger arrives in Japan, they must use their Exchange Order to receive the actual Kyushu Rail Pass. The passenger will need to show a valid passport with the entry status of “Temporary Visitor” (permission to stay in Japan for up to 90 days). The exchange must happen within 3 months from the Exchange Order issuance. Here is the list of exchange locations:
- To find an exchange location, please click here.
Once the Exchange Order e-ticket has been redeemed for the actual Kyushu Rail Pass, the 3 or 5 day period begins on the date of exchange in Japan.
Period of Validity
- Kyushu Rail Passes and Northern Kyushu Area Passes are valid for 3 or 5 consecutive days of travel, Southern Kyushu Area Passes are valid for 3 days of consecutive travel only. At time of issuance the customer receives an Exchange Order e-ticket, which must be redeemed for the actual Kyushu Rail Pass at one of the exchange offices in Japan within three months of the Exchange Order issuance (e-ticket issue).
Seat reservations can only be made in Japan, at any JR station or travel center in Kyushu, Japan. For passes exchanged on or after June 1, 2020, reservations are unlimited. Passengers can obtain unlimited non- reserved seat tickets within the validation period.
We encourage customers to make seat reservations at the station. It is free.
Travelers bring their own luggage on the train and must be able to handle their own luggage without assistance, within the following:
- Some JR Kyushu trains may not have space for suitcases, please click here for details. Otherwise the following may apply,
- Each passenger may bring up to two pieces of luggage onto trains, not including smaller bags.
- Each piece of luggage may not weigh more than 30 kg and its three dimensions (length, width and depth) may not add up to more than 250 cm, while its length may not exceed 200 cm.
- There is little room for large suitcases on urban and long-distance trains especially during rush hours. Overhead shelves on shinkansen trains are about 40 cm high and 60 cm deep and cannot accommodate large items. There is usually space for two to three large suitcases behind the last row of seats in each car on most long distance trains.
From Fukuoka Airport:
- In order to obtain their JR Kyushu Pass, passengers are asked to make their way to the Hakata Central Station and go to the JR Kyushu Travel Office.
- Transit time is roughly 10 minutes by metro or taxi.